Tuesday, 30 August 2011

A curious observation

Recently I was reading Rockalilly's blog and I stumbled across this picture;



At first, I turned to my partner and said something along the lines of, "well that's just not right' and my reasoning for saying this at the time was because we shouldn't be exposing children to this from such a young age because they're too young to understand to which he replied "why not?", now this came as a shock to me for a couple of reasons, firstly, my partner is pretty normal and is happy being normal unlike me (not in a bad way, in an indifferent way) and secondly, yes, why not? What is wrong with this? What's wrong with wanting to grow up and be a tattoo artist? Heck it's a well paying job that requires a significant amoung of talent, I  have friends that are tattoo artists, and I'll tell you this, they are some of the most clever, talented, funny, successful, worldly people I know. It led me to this huge insight of how false morality is put into our heads from such an early age.

Why are we made to believe that all these things are wrong? Different clothes, make-up, hair colour, hair styles, jewellery, shoes and heck if you really want to get into it you can throw gay marriage into it among other things etc. etc. Now I don't believe it's the individual's fault, it's society's fault, unfortunately it's our culture here in this small country, which is a shame. I've noticed it so much more since I've been home from Europe, no one looked twice at someone with a half a metre high rainbow coloured mohawk over there, the disgusting thing is: I did. People covered in tattoos are allowed to work in customer service jobs and no one cares. Why should they? These people aren't lower classed, dirty or rebels or whatever else they get thought of. You can't even buy different clothes or make up here, you literally have to import from other countries or make it yourself, which just confirms the negative image more.

All these people that are out there and judge us for choosing to be a wee bit different (or a lot different), why? Do they want us all to look the same? All perfectly prepped in the plain styles that blend in like them? Am I harming them in anyway wanting to have blue hair? And if they don't like it that's fine, I'm not doing it for them, it's for me, but they still have to give their negative judgements and comments.
It begins to be hard to define what you like when it comes to doing some of these things between being what you truly like or being rebellious, and rebellion is not what I'm about, what I'm trying to do is try to block out everyone else's negative opinions from my head so that I can truly find out what I want for myself, I don't expect eceryone to change, I just expect everyone to respect my wishes, respect what I want to do and only comment when they have something positive to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment